Tips for File Preparation....
It is best to build pages/documents in page layout programs such as InDesign, Quark or Illustrator.
Following is a list of tips to make your job print better and keep your
- Provide a hard copy (laser print) of the final file.
- Send all the fonts used. If applicable, send screen and printer fonts. We can use TrueType fonts on the PC.
- Do not use “styles” for fonts in the application. If the font does not have a bold or italic version, it will not print that way on our Postscript 3 system.
- Vector based files can have the type converted to outlines to eliminate fonts, but will also eliminate our ability to edit text.
- Include all imported images and links with the files sent to Davis Printing Company even if the files have been embedded.
- All color documents and/or imported color files should be CMYK or PMS spot color (not RGB). CMYK images should not be used in a spot color job.
- Do not use WMF or PNG files. They must be converted to Illustrator or Photoshop files first.
- Delete unused colors from the color palette in your application. Do not use multiples of the same color (ie: 340 C, 340 CV, 340 CVC) as each of these will print as a separate color.
- Scans and non-vector based art should be 300 DPI resolution at the placed size.
- Remove all unused text or graphics from the pasteboard outside the document image area.
- Keep text and objects not to be trimmed no closer than 3/16” from the actual trim.
- Items that print to the trim (bleed) should extend 1/8” past the trim.
- Do not “float” your document on an oversized page.
- When more than one fold is used, such as in a trifold brochure, the panel sizes will reduce as the folds accumulate.
- Do not use MS Word or MS Publisher programs for color printing.
Davis Printing Company, Inc. staff looks forward to working with you to achieve the highest quality job, quickly and smoothly. As always, we will work with you to make just about any file print the way you like, however, any intervention time will be an additional charge. Please call if you have any concerns about this information or would like help in working with your file.
Have a question or need help placing an order? We're here to help! Our printing specialists are available 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday-Thursday and Friday from 8am-11am.
Copyright © 2015 Davis Printing Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.